Early May I provided a sneak peek of my new Horizon View VDI Calculator. As mentioned in the previous post, many consulting professionals and architects asked for a portable – offline – version of the calculator. I also have been numerous times asked for a mobile version.
The new calculator is built on Java framework instead of Flash, and will run on Windows and Mac computers. There will also be a version specifically built for Android devices that uses native device capabilities. The Android version is coming a bit later.
The new calculator has all the features available in the previous Flash version, plus some new key features that will make life easier for many users:
- Offline Support – The new version will be able to run when disconnected from the network. When connected, it will auto-update itself with the latest release.
- Load/Save – Now you can save and load your configurations eliminating repetitive task of entering the values every time you use the calculator. This is a great future for consultants that have to manage multiple projects for multiple customers.
- Tool Tips – When you hover over a field or combo box you see an explanation what exactly that property will do.
- Validations – Property validations have been added to reduce the number of possible errors. These validations include checking your numbers are within VMware’s supported numbers.
- It’s FREE!!! – Thanks to the sponsors this tool is absolutely FREE, even for the mobile version that will be soon released. If you are a vendor and is interested in having your Ad dynamically presented on the calculator just send an email to at [email protected]
Here is a list of ideas. If you like any of them or if you can think of anything else, please let me know.
- Block Size and IO calculations for even better accuracy
- Scale-out approaching using hyper-converged architectures
- Server Profile – you select the brand and the calculator will spit out the model you should buy.
- Upload configuration to Cloud and be able to access it from anywhere
We are currently running a small Beta test program to ensure you get a high quality product that you can rely upon to create and calculate your VDI and DaaS designs. We should have the Beta program finished in a week or so and then the calculator will be available to everyone. Keep tuned!!!
This article was first published by Andre Leibovici (@andreleibovici) at myvirtualcloud.net.