I have just uploaded a new release of the online VDI Flash Calculator.
This release include a cool new feature – the ability to offload VM Swap Files to Local Storage. Many of my solution designs utilise local storage for VM swap files in order to save shared storage. I’m uploading this new release with an article discussing the benefits and downsides of VM Swap file in Local Storage. Read at Save [VDI] Storage using VM Swap File Host Placement.
Another nice feature is the ability to add high availability to connection servers.
– Added support for VM Swap files in local storage
– Added support for Connection Server High Availability (N+1)
– Minor UI adjustments
– Added support for Printing
– Added IOPs calculation based on Workload IOPS, RAID Type and Read/Write ratio
– Re-positioned fields that relate to each other
– Minor UI adjustments
– Added field to show number of VMs per host
– Fix for storage consumption calculation when using Suspend Power Policy
– Added dropdown menu to allow selection of number of vCPUs per VM
– Added dropdown menu to allow selection of number of displays per VM
– Added dropdown menu to allow selection of maximum display resolution per VM
– Added automated calculation of virtual machine memory overhead
– Added dropdown menu to allow selection of maximum number of VMs per vCenter. Only applies to vCenter 4.1.
– Changed from Dropdown menu to free entry of Number of VMs per Datastore to allow more than 64 VMs.
– Fixed bug when calculating delta sizes whilst Refresh OS on logoff set to 0%.
– Fixed calculation of vCenter Servers when number of VMs was equal to vCenter Server limit.
– Added support for Dedicated Datastore for Replicas (SSD)
– Added support for use of VM memory reservation
– Added support for Cluster with HA (N+1)
– Added information on number of clusters required
– Fixed bug with overcommitment memory calculation
– Added support for .vswp calculation with Linked Clones
– Added configurable Hypervizor memory overhead
– Added configurable VM memory overhead
– Added support for VMware View 4.5 Disposable disks
– Added Storage Breakdown summary for VMware View 4.5 Tiering
– Added Host number calculation based on Desktop State when Not in Use (On, Suspend, Power Off)
– Added Storage calculation based on Desktop State when Not in Use (On, Suspend, Power Off)
– Added 4Gb overhead for vmKernel when calculating Host Memory with Overcommit
– Fixed bug when calculating Hosts Memory overcommit with low number of VMs per core
– Added ERR validation for Number of Desktop Pools (max. 512 Linked Clone VMs per Desktop Pool)
– Added developer name and blog URL at bottom