I have just uploaded a new release of the online VDI Flash Calculator.
This is a Major release and include cool new features. Despite a number a requests I have delayed including IOPs calculation due to the workload specific nature. I wanted to make sure that aspects such as Read/Write ratio and RAID penalty were properly included in the calculations. Read my article Get hold of VDI IOPs, Read/Write Ratios and Storage Tiering to understand the implications.
– Added support for Printing
– Added IOPs calculation based on Workload IOPS, RAID Type and Read/Write ratio
– Re-positioned fields that relate to each other
– Minor UI adjustments
– Added field to show number of VMs per host
– Fix for storage consumption calculation when using Suspend Power Policy
– Added dropdown menu to allow selection of number of vCPUs per VM
– Added dropdown menu to allow selection of number of displays per VM
– Added dropdown menu to allow selection of maximum display resolution per VM
– Added automated calculation of virtual machine memory overhead
– Added dropdown menu to allow selection of maximum number of VMs per vCenter. Only applies to vCenter 4.1.
– Changed from Dropdown menu to free entry of Number of VMs per Datastore to allow more than 64 VMs.
– Fixed bug when calculating delta sizes whilst Refresh OS on logoff set to 0%.
– Fixed calculation of vCenter Servers when number of VMs was equal to vCenter Server limit.
– Added support for Dedicated Datastore for Replicas (SSD)
– Added support for use of VM memory reservation
– Added support for Cluster with HA (N+1)
– Added information on number of clusters required
– Fixed bug with overcommitment memory calculation
– Added support for .vswp calculation with Linked Clones
– Added configurable Hypervizor memory overhead
– Added configurable VM memory overhead
– Added support for VMware View 4.5 Disposable disks
– Added Storage Breakdown summary for VMware View 4.5 Tiering
– Added Host number calculation based on Desktop State when Not in Use (On, Suspend, Power Off)
– Added Storage calculation based on Desktop State when Not in Use (On, Suspend, Power Off)
– Added 4Gb overhead for vmKernel when calculating Host Memory with Overcommit
– Fixed bug when calculating Hosts Memory overcommit with low number of VMs per core
– Added ERR validation for Number of Desktop Pools (max. 512 Linked Clone VMs per Desktop Pool)
– Added developer name and blog URL at bottom