I am excited to announce the Beta release of the VDI Calculator v5. This new version 5.0 is the single biggest release since I started delivering the Java based calculator (in the past there was a Flash based calculator). I have completely re-architected the way the calculator works, allowing multiple types of desktops to be configured in a single calculation and a single View or Xen environment.
All existing features have been retained and will work in the exact same way you are used to, but you now have the ability to select difference options for different types of desktops.
As an example, you may choose Desktop Type 1 to be a ‘student’ desktop using Linked Clones with 10 different pools; conversely you may choose Desktop Type 2 to be a ‘professor’ desktop using Full Clones with 5 individual pools. This new calculator gives you much more granular control over you calculations eliminating repetitive tasks when sizing larger environments.
- This is a Beta version and I would appreciate feedback so I can fix any error or bugs. Feedback can be provided via comments in the blog post or in the VDI Calculator main page (here).
- This Beta version will be available online until Dec, 31st, 2013.
- Java will request authorization to execute. This will fixed for the General Availability release.
- There is a known issue when loading a saved calculation with more then 1 desktop type. In this case you must first open the amount of Desktop Tabs you want to load from the saved file. You do that clicking on (+) and (-).
- To execute the calculator click on “CLICK HERE” below.
This article was first published by Andre Leibovici (@andreleibovici) at myvirtualcloud.net.