A while back I released the a “Review of VMware View Limits and Maximums” and I think it deserves a review and update due to VMware View 5.0 launch.
As an administrator and/or designer you should always make sure that your numbers are within VMware View maximums and limits to be able to get technical support from VMware.
The limits may vary according to the releases in use. The limits in this post are specific to VMware View 5.0, View Composer 2.7 and vCenter 5. The comparisons are against limits published with VMware View 4.
· 8 Hosts per Cluster (including 1 hot spare) – did not change
This limit is hard-coded in View Composer; however it comes from a VMFS limitation on the number of hosts that can simultaneously read from a single VMDK. This VMDK in a VMware View environment with View Composer is the Replica disk.
· 16 VM’s per CPU core – changed from 8 VM’s per CPU core
· 1,000 VMs per desktop pool or replica – changed from 512 Clones per Master Replica
· 140 VMs per LUN with VAAI support – changed from 64 VMs per LUN
Without VAAI support the recommended number is still 64 VMs per LUN. This limit comes from the number of SCSI LUN reservations caused by VM metadata updates. With VAAI the reservation happens at the VMDK level.
· 2,000 VMs per vCenter – did not change
Despite the limit above I recommend you to keep this number at around 1,500 desktops observe vCenter response times as you scale up to 2,000. VMware View generates a lot of activities (power on and off, reconfiguration, cloning, snaps) that will consume vCenter resources very quickly.
· 512 VMs per host – changed from 320 VMs per host
This limit is established by vSphere 5, not VMware View.
[UPDATE - Official number supported now is 1000]
Maximum Number of Connections
· 1 Connection Server with Direct connection, RDP or PCoIP, 2,000 – did not change
· 7 Connection Servers (5+2 spares) Direct connection, RDP or PCoIP, 10,000 – changed from 5 servers for 5,000
· 1 Connection Server with Tunneled connection, 2,000 – changed from 3 Connection Servers for 2,000
· 1 Connection Server with PCoIP Secure Gateway, 2,000 – NEW